Anyone living in the Huron Valley area, including White Lake and Highland, is invited to enter the 2013 Huron Valley Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Committee annual Art, Written Word, Performance Competition. The deadline to enter is Jan. 7.
According to the committee's website, there are three age categories: 11 and under, 12-17 and 18 and over.
All submissions can be dropped off at the front desk of the Carls Family YMCA in Milford.
The following restrictions apply:
- Essays must be 500 words or less
- Speeches must be three minutes or less
- Performances must be three minutes or less
- Submissions are community property
for display in upcoming years
- Categories are: All artistic media, poetry, photography, essay and performance.
Winners will be selected from each are group. The winning art and selected submissions will be displayed in the front windows of Main Street businesses in Milford the week before and on the day of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. event. Performances will take place at the event.
For more information e-mail Andrea Perry: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.hvmlkday.org/art_contest.html.
8th Annual March on Main Street
The 8th Annual Huron Valley Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration-March on Main Street will take place Monday, Jan. 21, at 1 p.m. in Milford. Line-up is at Prospect Hill Shopping Center located at 516 Highland Ave., Milford.
According to the committee, groups are encouraged to march together with signs designating their support of MLK Day. Anyone can register for the march through the website, but registration is not required.
Overview of 2013 March on Main Street:
Monday, Jan. 21, at 1 p.m.
- Line up at Prospect Hill begins at 12:15 p.m.
- Food donations to be offered from area businesses
- Award contest winners
- National Anthem
- Brief speech regarding significance of the March
- March with "I Have a Dream" speech playing through speakers
- End of March music performance – vocal performance