DTE Energy Issues Storm, Power Outage Tips
A line of severe thunderstorms is passing through Southeast Michigan.
Storms just one week ago caused more than 125,000 DTE Energy customers to lose power, some for days. Now, another round of thunderstorms has started and DTE Energy has issued the following tips:
- During any storm, you may wish to unplug major appliances and sensitive electronic equipment.
- If you lose power: If your power goes out, please report it. Your report will help determine the extent of the outage and damage to DTE's electrical system. Report from a mobile phone using mobile.dteenergy.com or by calling 800.477.4747
- Estimates for restoring your power: Estimates for restoring your power take several hours to prepare and may not be immediately available. These estimates may change once crews arrive on scene and fully assess equipment damage and tree-removal needs, or as additional severe weather impacts our restoration work.
- Play it safe.
- Stay at least 20 feet away from downed power lines and anything they are in contact with, including water puddles and metal fences.
- Keep children and pets away, too.
- Never drive across a downed power line.
- If a power line falls on your vehicle, remain inside your car until help arrives.