Highland Residents Can Earn Rewards for Recycling
Rizzo Services, the new trash hauler in Highland, is offering a reward program for those in the township that recycle.
If you recycle in Highland, you could be earning coupons for discounts at local businesses as part of Rizzo Services' new Rizzo Rewards Program.
To participate in the program go to http://www.rizzorewards.com/ and click Activate Account. Then, follow the instructions to complete the set up of your free account.
Every time you participate in curbside recycling, sign into your online account and record your activity by clicking the "I Recycled Today" button.
Karen Provo, with the assessing office in Highland, said residents need to be sure the containers they use for recycling are clearly labeled and say "recycling." Also be sure that the label is facing the road. If the containers are not labeled and facing the road, it is likely the workers will mistake the containers as garbage containers.
If you don't have a recycling container, one can be picked up from the township offices. The first container is free, Provo said.
The following items can be recycled in the same container:
- Clean glass with labels removed.
- Plastic Bottles with a #1 through #7 on the bottom: Rinse containers and throw lids in trash.
- No cups, tubs, trays or motor oil containers, even if they have 1 or 2 on the bottom.
- Tin & aluminum cans: Rinse clean. No scrap metal.
- Newspaper: Everything that comes with the newspaper
- Magazines & phonebooks
- Boxboard-cereal and shoe boxes. Remove inner packaging and flatten.
- Corrugated cardboard: Cut into pieces no larger than 2 feet by 2 feet.
- No waxed cardboard, such as freezer boxes.
- Bundles no higher than 1 foot, or placed in brown paper bags.
Livingston Recycling in Howell 517-548-4439 accepts glass. Pontiac City Hall also recycles glass every Saturday from 8 a.m.- noon.
New Trash Day
Residents in Highland will see a change in their trash pick up starting Jan. 11. According to the township, trash and recycle pickup will be changing to Fridays for all Highland residents. All trash and recycling must be curbside by 7 a.m. on that day in order to be picked up by Rizzo Services.