I-96 Shooting Suspect Arraigned on Weapons Charges in Howell Incident
Wixom resident Raulie Wayne Casteel was arraigned Wednesday afternoon on charges relating to one of 24 shootings that took place last month along the interstate corridor; more charges are expected.
Raulie Wayne Casteel, 43, of Wixom was arraigned Wednesday afternoon in 53rd District Court in Howell on charges related to one of the three I-96 corridor shootings that happened in Livingston County.
Casteel was charged with six counts in connection with the shooting that happened at 2:43 p.m. Oct. 18 on westbound I-96, near mile marker 135 in Howell, The Detroit News reported.
A total of 24 shootings took place between Oct. 16 and Oct. 27 in four counties: Livingston, Oakland, Ingham and Shiawassee.
[Take a look at our interactive map to see where all of the shootings occurred.]
Casteel was charged with one count of assault with a dangerous weapon, a four-year felony; carrying a weapon with unlawful intent, a five-year felony; intentionally discharging a weapon from a motor vehicle, a four-year felony; and three counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, which carries a mandatory two-year term.
Police said other prosecuting attorneys are reviewing the individual cases in their jurisdictions and more charges are expected later this week.
Casteel was taken into custody from his residence on Monday night. Police said the arrest was the result of information derived during the investigation over the past few days. Task force members seized potential evidence that will be evaluated by police crime laboratories, according to a press release.
A preliminary exam conference was scheduled Nov. 14.