In Photos: Pet Halloween Costumes
Patch wants to see your pets in Halloween costumes.
Do you dress your dog up for Halloween? We want to see your photos! While you're at it, check out these Halloween pet safety tips from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals:
- No Sweets for Your Sweetie. Several popular Halloween treats are toxic to pets, especially candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol, which can be poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol sweetener can cause a sudden drop in your dog’s blood sugar, which may lead to lack of coordination, seizures and depression.
- Careful with costumes. If you dress up your pet for Halloween, make sure the costume does not limit his movement, hearing, sight or ability to breathe, bark, eat, drink or eliminate. Also check the costume for choking hazards.
- Watch out for those wrappers. Cats love to play with candy wrappers, but ingesting aluminum foil or cellophane can cause intestinal blockage and induce vomiting.
- Trick-or-treating is for kids, not pets. During trick-or-treating hours it is best to keep pets in a room away from all the excitement at the front door. “
- Decorations can be dangerous. Re-think putting candles in Jack-o’-lanterns. Pets can easily knock these over and start a fire, and curious kittens are particularly at risk of getting burned by candle flames. Also take care to prevent your pets from having access to wires and cords from holiday decorations. If chewed, a wire can damage your pet’s mouth from shards of glass or plastic, or deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock. Pumpkins themselves are relatively non-toxic, but could cause upset stomachs in pets that nibble on them.
Just click "Submit Photos & Video" below to share!