Lakeland Update: No School Tuesday For Huron Valley District
A look at news from Lakeland High School, as submitted by Lakeland Teacher Scott Rolando.
Hello All! Scott Rolando here with this week's Lakeland Update. Here we go.
No School: There is no school tomorrow Nov 8th, 2011 due to election day and teacher professional development. We hope that you get out and vote in tomorrow's elections. Thank you!
Celebrate Good Times at LHS: Our building theme this year is Celebrate Good Times. As a caring community, we want to acknowledge all the positive aspects of our building. Therefore, we have created a blog which will be written almost daily to point out the activities of our Lakeland community that we can celebrate. Please join in our daily celebrations by reading our blog at lhsadmincelebratesgoodtimes.blogspot.com and revel in our accomplishments. Feel free to make comments by setting up your own account or by joining as a guest when you want to comment on what we have written. Their will soon be a link on our web page right to the blog and we will send out a list serve when that happens.
Lakeland Talon online: This year, the Lakeland Talon, our school newspaper, has gone digital. The new format will allow us to use full color pictures as well as publish more stories than ever in a timely fashion. Because we're still getting used to this format, I'm sure we'll need to tweak a few things (we'll be keeping a school events calendar on the site as well). Check out the Talon at www.lakelandtalon.com
Morning Announcements: The morning announcements are now posted online in power point format on the Lakeland web page at www.lakelandhs.com. Click the link to either open or download the announcements from the date listed. Thank you!
Free Tutoring: The free tutoring information for Lakeland has been uploaded to the LHS Download section of the LHS website at www.lakelandhs.com. Look in the middle of the website at the bottom for the link to see the free tutoring offerings here at Lakeland.
Lakeland Yearbooks: The Lakeland Yearbook staff is offering a special two-day opportunity for students who weren't able to purchase a yearbook during the August registration period to do so. Students may purchase a 2011-2012 yearbook on Thursday, November 17th and Friday, November 18th, during all three lunches. Yearbooks cost $70. Checks should be made payable to Lakeland Yearbook. This year's yearbook looks to be Lakeland's best ever, with a special cover and completely re-designed pages. Get your memories ... get your yearbook now!
Testing Out: Please see the attachment for more information on testing out of classes here at Lakeland.
Student Services: Check out the latest edition of the Counseling Corner Newsletter from the Lakeland Counselors! It highlights information on getting extra help to improve your grades, some upcoming leadership experience opportunities for sophomore and junior students, and much more! The final college visit schedule is attached to this email. Thank you.
10th Grade Leadership Seminar Opportunities - HOBY and MYLead: Each year, Lakeland selects two students to attend the Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership or the Michigan Youth Leadership seminars. These students will attend at no cost to the student. These experiences allow a student to stay on a college campus for a weekend near the end of the school year, hear from motivational speakers, participate in fun and challenging activities, and collaborate with students from across the state. If your 10th grade student is interested in attending, please have them complete an application and return it to Mr. Dougherty in the Counseling Office by November 18th. Any questions, see Mr. Dougherty.
HV Community Coalition President Position Open: Please see the attachment regarding the open position of Huron Valley Community Coalition President.
Toys for Tots: Don't forget to keep getting those donations for Toys for Tots. More pledge sheets are available in the main office. All bowl-a-thon donations are required to be turned in at the bowl-a-thon on Nov 20th from 12-3 pm at Century Bowl in Waterford. Lakeland Leadership is also looking for parent help with the bowl-a-thon on the 20th. If you are interested and can help please contact Mr. Rolando at email@example.com. More info to come regarding other Toys for Tots events!
Toys for Paws: The holiday season is also a time to help our furry friends by donating to Toys for Paws. All the donations of food, litter, toys, and blankets, etc will stay local and help keep our furry friends healthy and safe this holiday season. A drop box is located in the main office for all donations. Thank you!
Lakeland Marching Band: Congrats to the LHS Marching Band on finishing 8th in the state this past weekend at Ford Field in Detroit in the MCBA State Finals! Good luck at the BOA National Finals this weekend!
Lakeland School Play: Tickets for the Lakeland School play "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" are on sale NOW online through payschools and in the cafeteria at all three lunches for $10 each. The show is this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday here at Lakeland!
Lakeland Cross Country: Lakeland Athletic Fans, despite having their best times and performances of the CC season, the girls cross country team finished 9th out of 15 teams at the highly competitive Regional in Brighton. Lakeland was led by their outstanding senior Morgan Bridgewater finishing 6th with a time of 18:38 and now qualifying as an individual runner for the State Meet next weekend at Michigan International Speedway. Morgan will attempt to repeat her all-state performance of last year when she finished 18th. The rest of the team also ran excellent times starting with senior Sara MacDonald running the fastest race of her four year career (19:44), sophomore Nicole Clover running (20:05), junior Reighan Fisher running (20:19), junior Maygan Houghton running (21:18), senior Alex Imhoff running (21:24), and junior Chrissie McElwee (22:05). We would like to thank all who supported us throughout the cross country season. This year's regional was another great chapter in Lakeland Cross Country. After a very competitive regular season, the boys went into a new and extremely competitive region consisting of 4 of the top 10 teams in the state. They came out accomplished. We didn't win the region but we qualified to go to the state championship this Saturday! That in itself a an enormous success. All of the varsity and most of the JV ran personal best times for the season and for many of them their high school careers. This past Saturday the boys team placed 5th overall in the state and Lakeland Senior Garret Zuk finished in 1st place and is the Div 1 STATE CHAMPION! Lakeland Senior Morgan Bridgewater, the lone female representative at the meet for Lakeland finished 26th overall, making her all state. Scott Neff from the boys team also finished in the top making him all state as well. Congrats!
Boys Basketball: Boys Basketball Tryouts will begin next Monday, November 14th and run through Wednesday, November 16th. Varsity and Freshman will practice 3-5 in the field house. The JV team will have tryouts from 5-7 in the aux gym. For additional information, players should visit www.lakelandboysbasketball.weebly.com. Coach Brugger will also hold an informational meeting Wednesday, November 9th in the field house at 2:30. All levels of players should attend.
Girls Swim and Dive: The Girls Swim & Dive Team hosted the KLAA North Division meet, finishing in second place. This is the highest finish the team has ever had at the meet. This was a combined team effort with many team members scoring points in a meet for the first time this season. Below is a list of athletes who scored for the Eagles. Please congratulate the team on a successful meet!
- 200 Medley Relay Grace Collins, Devyn Cope, Hannah Porter, & Sonia Borkowski - 4th Place; Hana Irvine, Olivia Hedman, Melanie Danowski, & Natalie Lane - 9th Place
- 200 Freestyle Tressa Collins - 4th Place; Valerie Morelli - 5th Place; Leah Schmerer - 8th Place; Olivia Hedman - 14th Place; Rachel Glover - 16th Place
- 200 IM Jessica Porter - 2nd Place; Devyn Cope - 8th Place; Hana Irvine - 13th Place; Alexandria Szalanczy - 15th Place
- 50 Freestyle Reagan Dehnbostel - 1st Place; Mollie Vivian - 5th Place; Kelsey Danley - 8th Place; Sonia Borkowski - 10th Place; Gabby Eroyan - 11th Place
- 100 Butterfly Jessica Porter - 3rd Place; Chelsea Stone - 10th Place; Melanie Danowski - 11th Place; Alexandria Szalanczy - 16th Place
- 100 Freestyle Reagan Dehnbostel - 1st Place; Grace Collins - 4th Place; Hannah Porter - 6th Place; Valerie Morelli - 7th Place
- 500 Freestyle Kelsey Danley - 2nd Place; Sonia Borkowski - 3rd Place; Tressa Collins - 4th Place; Leah Schmerer - 6th Place; Rachel Glover - 15th Place
- 200 Freestyle Relay Jessica Porter, Kelsey Danley, Reagan Dehnbostel, & Mollie Vivian - 1st Place; Valerie Morelli, Leah Schmerer, Sonia Borkowski, & Tressa Collins - 6th Place
- 100 Backstroke Hannah Porter - 7th Place; Chelsea Stone - 10th Place; Hana Irvine - 13th Place; Natalie Lane - 14th Place; Gabby Eroyan - 15th Place
- 100 Breaststroke Grace Collins - 3rd Place; Mollie Vivian - 6th Place; Devyn Cope - 7th Place; Kate Richardson - 14th Place; Olivia Hedman - 15th Place
- 400 Freestyle Relay Jessica Porter, Reagan Dehnbostel, Grace Collins, & Mollie Vivian - 1st Place; Kelsey Danley, Valerie Morelli, Tressa Collins, & Hannah Porter - 3rd Place
The Lakeland Girls Swim & Dive Team competed in the KLAA Lakes Conference meet this past weekend at Waterford Mott. The team finished in 6th place with 405.5 points. This is the highest place and most points the team has scored in the history of our team/conference. Additionally, two team members finished with all conference honors. Jessica Porter finished 4th in the 50 Freestyle and 2nd in the 100 Freestyle, while Reagan Dehnbostel finished 3rd in the 500 Freestyle. The team also broke a number of team and class records, details below. Overall, the meet was a great end to the full team competition schedule, with individual qualifiers and a relay moving on to the state meet in two weeks at Eastern Michigan University. Please congratulate our girls who have finished their season on a great year, and wish our team members moving on to the state meet luck.
- 200 Medley Relay - Grace Collins, Devyn Cope, Hannah Porter, and Kelsey Danley - 2:03.70 (9th Place)
- 200 Freestyle - Regan Dehnbostel - 2:01.53 (5th Place & Freshman Record)
- 200 Freestyle - Valerie Morelli - 2:07.45 (16th Place)
- 200 Freestyle - Sonia Borkowski - 2:08.86 (20th Place)
- 200 Freestyle - Tressa Collins - 2:08.78 (23rd Place)
- 200 Individual Medley - Grace Collins - 2:21.30 (11th Place & Freshman Record)
- 200 Individual Medley - Hannah Porter - 2:24.75 (16th Place)
- 200 Individual Medley - Devyn Cope - 2:29.53 (24th Place)
- 50 Freestyle - Jessica Porter - 25.40 (4th Place, Team Record, & All Conference)
- 50 Freestyle - Kelsey Danley - 26.64 (17th Place)
- 100 Butterfly - Melanie Danowski - 1:13.00 (23rd Place)
- 100 Freestyle - Jessica Porter - 55.04 (2nd Place, Team Record, All Conference, & State Cut)
- 100 Freestyle - Mollie Vivian - 56.52 (10th Place)
- 100 Freestyle - Kelsey Danley - 57.74 (15th Place)
- 500 Freestyle - Reagan Dehnbostel - 5:20.36 (3rd Place, Team Record, All Conference, & State Cut)
- 500 Freestyle - Valerie Morelli - 5:40.90 (16th Place)
- 500 Freestyle - Tressa Collins - 5:46.25 (18th Place)
- 500 Freestyle - Sonia Borkowski - 5:46.66 (19th Place)
- 200 Freestyle Relay - Jessica Porter, Kelsey Danley, Reagan Dehnbostel, & Mollie Vivian - 1:43.00 (7th Place, Team Record, & State Cut)
- 100 Backstroke - Hannah Porter - 1:08.01 (17th Place & Freshman Record)
- 100 Backstroke - Hana Irvine - 1:11.75 (24th Place)
- 100 Breaststroke - Grace Collins - 1:12.20 (8th Place & Team Record)
- 100 Breaststroke - Mollie Vivian - 1:14.32 (13th Place & Junior Record) 100 Breaststroke - Devyn Cope - 1:15.60 (16th Place)
- 400 Freestyle Relay - Jessica Porter, Grace Collins, Reagan Dehnbostel & Mollie Vivian - 3:47.93 (6th Place & Team Record)
Boys Swim & Dive Team: All returning team Swimmers and Divers, along with anyone interested in joining the team, are invited to participate in pre-season dryland workouts with returning Head Swim Coach - Alex Sandler. These pre-season workouts will be held daily starting Oct. 24th until the start of the regular season on Nov. 21st. Please report promptly at 2:45 p.m., dressed in workout clothing and shoes (bring your water bottles). If you want to be in shape to start the season, you will want to attend. For additional information or questions, please contact Coach Alex Sandler at 248-672-0189 (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Team Manager Becky Johnson at BeckySteveJ@aol.com. No prior competitive swim or dive experience is required to join the team. Pre-Season Dryland Workouts Daily, starting Monday, Oct. 24, 2011 2:45 - 4:15 p.m. Meet in Upstairs Hallway between Walking Track and Pool Spectator area
Lakeland Volleyball: This past Friday evening here at Lakeland our Lakeland Girls Volleyball team defeated a tough Milford team to capture the MHSAA District title in girls volleyball. Congrats to the team and coaches! They now advance to the MHSAA Regional on Tuesday Nov 8th, 2011 at Brighton High School at 5pm where they will face off against Canton. Tickets are $5 and are available at the door. No passes are allowed. Thank you and GO EAGLES!
Lakeland Athletic Boosters SCRIP Fund-raising: The Holidays are quickly approaching! Make gift giving easy while supporting Lakeland Athletic Programs. Purchase your scrip gift cards for all your favorite stores, gas stations, restaurants, coffee shops, even Amazon and CVS. There are hundreds to choose from, even hotels and airlines. Cards can be used for online purchases as well as at the retailer. Visit www.glscrip.com for a complete list (see retailer list on left side of page). Make your selections, and call or email me your order and pay when you receive your cards, which is usually within 3 or 4 days. Plan ahead and put those profits toward your favorite Lakeland team! Many cards are kept on hand for last minute gifts for teachers, postal workers or friends. Don't forget those gas cards for those college students! Remember, you pay the face price, no more than that. The retailer discounts the card purchases to the Lakeland Boosters and the difference (ranging anywhere from 2% to 18% depending on the retailer) goes to your selected sport. Anyone can order, so ask neighbors and relatives to place their orders through you and designate your students team. The Boosters will make sure the savings go to the team you prefer. Contact Sandy Hittle at 248-698-4409 or email@example.com . See attached order form. Also, please see the attachments for the practice ACT test sponsored by the Athletic Boosters and the euchre tournament.
Well that is about it from here. I hope that everyone has a great week and we will see you at an upcoming Lakeland Event!