Trip to Grocery Store Could Help Feed a Child in Need
Hiller's Market and Hollywood Market are teaming up with hunger relief agencies to help feed more than 300,000 children healthy meals this summer.
Local grocery stores want to make sure the 300,000 southeast Michigan schoolchildren who receive free or reduced-fee lunches during the school year don’t go hungry this summer.
Every dollar raised during the summer campaign translates into eight nutritious meals for a child.
Volunteers will be at various Hiller’s and Hollywood locations over the next few weekends accepting donations and handing out bracelets, balloons, stickers and raffling off gift cards to the markets. The Ford Motor Company Fund and Community Services, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Hiller’s and The Young Foundation will match every dollar donated during the campaign.
Volunteers will be at the following locations accepting donations from 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m.:
Saturday – Hiller's Markets
- Berkley – 3052 12 Mile Rd., (between Greenfield and Coolidge)
- Commerce Township – 39950 W. 14 Mile Rd. (14 Mile and Haggerty roads)
- Northville – 425 N. Center St. (between Main Street and Eight Mile Road)
- Plymouth – 15455 Haggerty Rd. (Haggerty and Five Mile roads)
- Union Lake – 3010 Union Lake Rd., Commerce Township, MI 48390 (Union Lake and Commerce roads)
- West Bloomfield – 6433 Orchard Lake Rd. (Maple and Orchard Lake roads in the Orchard Mall)
Aug. 6 – Hollywood Super Markets
- Shelby Township – 2020 Auburn Rd., Utica, MI 48317
- Bloomfield Hills – 1525 Opdyke Rd.
- Madison Heights – 29200 Campbell Rd.
- Lake Orion – 1101 S. Lapeer Rd.
- Rochester Hills – 1495 Rochester Rd.
- Royal Oak – 714 N. Main St.
- Troy – 2670 W. Maple Rd.
Hiller’s and Hollywood are making it really easy for shoppers to donate. Additionally, shoppers can add a Hunger Free Summer donation to their bill at checkout registers.
Volunteers are needed for the in-store events. Two people per shift are required. The shifts are 11 a.m.-1:15 p.m. or 1:15-3:30 p.m. Students as young as 15 years or older can volunteer, but they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. For more information or to volunteer, contact Julie Ptasznik at email@example.com.
Donations for the Hunger Free Summer Campaign are being accepted until Sept. 1.
Donations can be made the following ways:
- online at www.HungerFreeSummer.org
- call 888-332-7140
- text “HFS” TO 85944 (a $10 donation will be automatically added to donor’s cell phone bill–message and data rates may apply.)
- checks by mail: Hunger Free Summer, P.O. Box 1380, Troy, MI 48099
For more information, visit www.hungerfreesummer.org.