Veterans Day, a day for America to remember her military service members, is Sunday, November 11. Here's a round up of Michigan events honoring veterans as well as special offers for veterans by area businesses.
White Lake - White Lake VFW Post Ladies Auxiliary 4156 is holding its 4th annual Thanksgiving Dinner for Veterans. All are welcome from 3 to 7PM on Saturday, Nov. 10. Bring your family for a fine dinner. The post is located at 321 Union Lake Road in White Lake. Call 810-227-2091 for tickets or see attached flyer.
White Lake - Veterans Day Memorial at the White Lake Cemetery. The event starts at 1 p.m. The cemetery is located at the intersection of McKeachie Rd & White Lake Road.
Detroit - The Detroit Historic Civil War Society will hold its 28th annual Veterans Day ceremony for the 102nd US Colored Troops of the Civil War starting at 9:30AM on Monday, Nov. 12. This ceremony will take place at Elmwood Cemetery, corner of E Lafayette & McDougal, with a flyover at 10. Contact Robert at 313-300-0165 for more information or see attached flyer.
Lansing - Capital Area Veterans Day ceremony at Pattengill Middle School. A social hour begins at 9:30 AM in the cafeteria. There will be coffee and donuts, along with information tables for veterans and their families about various opportunities and organizations in the area. The ceremony begins at 10:30 AM in the auditorium. The community is welcome and there is no charge to honor the veterans.
Troy – The Troy Veterans Memorial Committee will host their annual Troy Veterans Day Ceremony at Troy Veterans Plaza in front of City Hall this Sunday, Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. The public is invited to bring individual flowers, bouquets, small flags and other appropriate mementos to be placed on the walk of honor or at the base of the Veterans Memorial in honor of a loved one or all veterans. Nancy Susick, current president of Beaumont Hospital in Troy and a 24-year veteran of the Navy Reserve, will be the keynote speaker. For more information, call City of Troy Director of Community Affairs Cindy Stewart at 248-524-1147.
Many Michigan businesses will be offering special discounts, freebies and offers exclusively for Veterans Day. Here is a list of Veterans Day specials:
- Applebee's - Stop into a participating Applebee’s on Sunday, November 11, 2012 to get your Veterans day free meal. You’ll be able to choose a meal from a limited Veteran’s Day menu that includes steak, cheeseburgers, chicken tenders, salad, pasta, chicken, and shrimp. You can see the complete menu by using the link above. This deal is dine-in only and beverages and gratuity are not included. You’ll need to bring in one proof of military service such as a U.S. Uniform Service ID card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID card, current Leave and Earnings statement, photograph in uniform, be wearing your uniform, a veterans organization card such as American Legion or VFW, or a DD214. Find an Applebee’s near you and call ahead to find out if they are participating in the Veterans Day free meal.
- T.G.I. Friday's - T.G.I. Friday’s will be having free lunch for all veterans and active military on Monday, November 12, 2012.
- Hooters - Stop by a participating Hooters anytime on Sunday, November 11, 2012 and get a Veterans Day free meal. You’ll get 10 free boneless wings. A drink purchase is required. You’ll need to bring in a military ID or proof of military service. Dine in only.
- Little Caesar's - Stop into a participating Little Caesar’s and get a free order of Crazy Bread. I recommend calling ahead to verify that your local Little Caesar’s is participating. You’ll need to present a valid military I.D. to get this freebie.
- Olive Garden - Olive Garden is offering a free meal to all veterans and active duty military on Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 2012. Provide proper proof of service at any Olive Garden restaurant in the US and Canada and enjoy a free entree, complete with baked garlic breadsticks and a choice of soup or salad. Veterans can choose from Seafood Alfredo, Chicken Parmigiana, Soup, Salad, & Bread sticks, Braised Beef & Tortellini, Cheese Ravioli, or Spaghetti & Meatballs.
- Famous Dave - Famous Dave will be offereing FREE Two Meat Salute - choose two different meats served with a Corn Bread Muffin and your choice of one side.
- Chili's - Chili's will be offering a free meal to Vets on Nov. 11 from a specially selected menu. Vets will also have a reduced cost ($5) brownie sundae that can be purchased. You’ll need to show proof of military service to get your Veterans Day free meal – a U.S. Uniform Services ID Card, a U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID Card, a Current Leave and Earnings Statement, Veterans Organization Card, a DD214, a photograph in uniform, or wear your uniform. Find a Chili’s near you so you can stop in and get your free meal.
- Outback Steakhouse - Stop into any Outback Steakhouse on November 11-12 to get a free Bloomin’ Onion and Coca-Cola product. From Nov. 11- Dec. 31, enjoy our Military Mates 10% discount too! This offer is for veterans as well as active duty military. You’ll need to bring in one ID such as a U.S. Uniform Services ID card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired ID card, current Leave and Earnings statement, DD form 214, a veterans organization card, a photograph of you in uniform, or you can wear your uniform to get your free Veterans Day meal. Find an Outback Steakhouse near you to get your Veterans Day free meal.
- Red Robin - Veterans and active duty military can stop into their local Red Robin on Monday, November 12 to get a free Red's Tavern Double burger and Bottomless Steak Fries. Be sure to bring your military ID to take advantage of this Veterans Day freebie.
- Denny's - Stop by Denny's on Monday, November 12, 2012 and all active, non-active, and retired military personnel can get free all you can eat pancakes from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. All Denny's locations are participating in this promotion and you'll just need to bring a valid military ID along with you.
- Bar Louie - Bar Louie locations across the country will offer veterans and military personnel a free meal up to a $11 value when they show valid military I.D. or other proof of service. You can stop by a location near you and get your free Veterans Day meal for lunch or dinner.
- Subway - Select SUBWAY® Restaurants will offer a FREE six inch sub or flatbread to military veterans on Veterans Day. This offer is valid only on November 11, 2012 at participating local SUBWAY® restaurants, Military ID or proof of service required.Note: SUBWAY® Restaurants are franchises, so this offer may not be available everywhere. Please call ahead for participation and times.
Veteran’s Day Discounts – Retail Stores & More
Here are some additional Veterans Day Discounts. In all cases, be sure to provide proper ID or proof of service. In addition, some of these stores are franchises, so verify participation before assuming the discount is in place.
- Amazon.com – Free MP3 album download “Veterans Day Honor” This free downloadable album includes 12 songs as performed by the military bands and ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces. Visit Amazon now through Veterans Day to download the album for free (album will be full price again starting Nov. 12).
- Big Lots – 10% off your entire purchase. Offer available to active duty, Guard/Reserve, veterans, retirees and their immediate family members, with valid ID. Please call ahead to verify.
- Cabela’s. Cabela’s is giving their standard employee discount to all US military veterans, active duty military, Guard/Reserves, law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel on Nov. 10-11. Discount varies from 5% to 20%, depending on the item.
- Dollar General. 10% discount on entire purchase on Veterans Day. Offer good for all active-duty military, retirees, veterans, Guard/Reserve, & immediate family members. The coupon can be found in the store circular, or by asking an employe. Also good online from Nov 11-13, use Coupon Code VETERANSDAY. More info.
- Free Business Cards and Checks. Get 25 FREE Checks – Choose from 6 different designs or upgrade to premium checks and choose from many more designs. Bonus Offer – Get 250 Free Business Cards! FREE Checks & Business Cards offer.
- Free Car wash. Thousands of car washes around the country are offering vets a free car wash on Veterans Day, Sun. Nov. 11, 2012. Find a list at Grace for Veterans, which helped veterans receive 101,537 FREE Washes on Veterans Day in 2011.
- Home Depot 10% Veterans Day Discount – Home Depot is branching their military discount out to include all veterans for Veterans Day. Veterans can save 10% off all purchase up to $500.
- Jos. A. Bank Specials: Veterans Day Sale- 1 Day Only! All Suits On Sale- 2nd for $47 Mix ‘n Match. 40% Off All Dress Shirts, Sportshirts, Ties & Sportswear. Free Shipping on Orders $195+. Valid: November 11. JoS. A. Bank Veterans Day Sale Orders.
- K-Mart. Exclusive Early Veterans Day Sale – Nov. 10th! EXTRA 5-10% off Almost Everything with coupon code VETERANSDAY. Friday & Saturday Specials + EXTRA 5-15% off & FREE Shipping orders of $49 with coupon code HOLIDAY.
- Lowe’s 10% Veterans Day Discount – Lowe’s usual military discount of 10% off all purchases is extended to all veterans for Veterans Day weekend.
- Netflix: Netflix – One Month Free Trial.
- Seven-Eleven – Free small Slurpee on Friday, Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Offer good to all current and former military members. ID or proof of service required.
- Sports Authority – 15% off all purchases. All Veterans and Military personnel please stop by your local Sports Authority store to receive 15% OFF YOUR ENTIER PUCHSASE on 11.11.11 ONLY! Please show proper identification or proof of service at check-out to receive this special offer.
- Sport Clips – Veterans Day National cut-a-thon and Help A Hero program. Sport Clips is the official haircutter of the VFW and will donate $1 from every haircut during the National Cut-a-Thon to VFW’s Operation Uplink, which provides free phone time to active-duty military personnel and hospitalized veterans. Sports Clips stores also offer a offer a Heroes discount which includes active and retired military. Find a location near you.
- Tim Hortons – all US locations are offering a free donut to all veterans (check out the Star Spangled donut!).
Many of the above offers were contributed by The Military Wallet.