The deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 6 General Election is just around the corner.
Local residents have until Oct. 9 to register to vote at the White Lake Township office or the Highland Township office, any Secretary of State office or by mail. In order to vote, you must:
- be 18 years or older on or before election day
- be a citizen of the U.S.
- have lived in Michigan for at least 30 days
- be registered on or before the close of registration
Those who aren't able to go to the polls on election day may cast an absentee ballot. An absentee ballot application can be picked up at both townships' offices.
If you want the ballot mailed, your application must be received by 2 p.m. the Saturday before the election. These dates are also important to absentee voters:
- Nov. 3, 2 p.m.: Deadline to submit absentee ballot by mail
- Nov. 5, 4 p.m.: Deadline to submit absentee ballot in person at clerk's office
- Nov. 6, 4 p.m.: Emergency absentee ballot deadline