Thursday, March 21, 2013
As spring officially began in Michigan, the forecast calls for snow, snow and more snow.
Spring is officially here and Woody, Michigan's Official Groundhog, has faced the fact that this year's prediction for an early spring was incorrect, according to a press release. According to the National Weather Service, the forecast for Thursday shows a 60 percent chance of snow showers, breezy, with a high near 30 degrees. This Sunday and Monday? You guessed it, more snow. Not your average spring weather. Some observers recalled Woody's hesitation that morning, when she exited her house at the Howell Conference & Nature Center, went back in, then came out again just in time to indicate an early spring. One witness to the prediction noted, "Some female woodchucks exhibit indecisiveness, and it was clearly on display that morning." …
Thursday, February 28, 2013
The Oakland County Sheriff's Office, including the substation in Highland, reported several vehicle accidents Tuesday and Wednesday.
More than four inches of wet, heavy snow fell on the White Lake-Highland area Tuesday night, and resulted in several accidents along roadways throughout the area and Oakland County. The Oakland County Sheriff's Office said their department, which covers 22 communities including Highland, responded to a total of 91 accidents. The accidents all occurred between 3 p.m. Tuesday and 9 a.m. Wednesday. The sheriff's office said there were a total of: The weather service forecasts a 60 percent chance of snow Thursday, with accumulations of less than a half-inch. Friday there's a chance of flurries and a high of 27 degrees.
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Tag pics with #MIPatchSnow on Instagram and they'll appear on White Lake-Highland Patch.
We want to see how much snow you have in your area, so why not tag your Instagram photos so they appear on Patch? White Lake-Highland Patch will pull all Instagram images tagged #MIPatchSnow into this nifty photo grid. What are you doing with all this snow? Are you building a snowman? Sledding? Use the hashtag with any snow-related adventures you're putting on Instagram today. You can also post your photos directly on Patch by clicking the "Pics & Clips" tab at the top of the page.
Monday, February 25, 2013
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch from Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday for metro Detroit, including White Lake and Highland.
A steady sleet started pelting the ground in White Lake and Highland Tuesday afternoon as forecasters continued to call for a nonstop drizzle of snow and other forms of precipitation through Thursday. According to the National Weather Service, 2 to 4 inches of snow, rain and sleet are predicted before Wednesday morning. Wind gusts of up to 26 mph, as well as falling temperatures over the next 48 hours, were also in the forecast. Another 1-2 inches could fall on Wednesday. "A plume of deep moisture will stream across southern Michigan late this afternoon through tonight and then linger into Wednesday," the forecast stated. White Lake and Highland are under a winter weather advisory until noon Wednesday. The Road Commission for Oakland …
Friday, February 8, 2013
Snow and below freezing temperatures could make for some messy roads.
The following is a message from the White Lake Police Department. Winter is upon us, please drive careful. Tips for driving in the snow: Drive safe!
Thursday, February 7, 2013
Forecasters say 4 to 7 inches of snow are now possible starting later tonight.
Editor's note: This story will be updated throughout the day as the forecast changes or the storm develops. The latest information will be at the top of this article. Update, Thursday, 9:45 a.m. The latest forecast from the National Weather Service calls for a 100 percent chance of snow in White Lake and Highland, mainly after 11 p.m. "Accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible," the weather service stated. The snow is now expected to continue until Friday afternoon; a blustery Friday morning wind is also in the forecast, as is an additional 1 to 2 inches of snow. Wednesday, 5 p.m. Forecasts call for between 2 and 4 inches in White Lake and Highland starting Thursday afternoon. According to a hazardous weather outlook and winter weather …
Monday, February 4, 2013
The snow plows have already been out Monday morning around White Lake and Highland.
A "clipper" — known in weather circles as a fast-moving low pressure system out of Canada — will bring at least an inch of snow to White Lake and Highland on Monday. The snow will continue through Tuesday, when up to three additional inches are possible, according to the National Weather Service. Here's the forecast, day-by-day, for the Oakland County area:
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
White Lake and Highland will experience a deep freeze lasting through the weekend, says the National Weather Service, which has issued a hazardous weather outlook.
The story of southeast Michigan's wild January weather continues, as forecasters call for a nearly 30-degree temperature drop overnight accompanied by high winds and snow. In White Lake and Highland – as in all southeast Michigan – we've experienced snow, sleet, rain, fog and even thunder this week. It was 51 degrees at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in White Lake. But, temperatures were expected to nosedive to the low 20s, according to the National Weather Service. There also was a 90 percent chance of rain turning to snow overnight and lasting into Thursday. A hazardous weather outlook calls for "gusty winds" of up to 40 to 45 mph as well as icy conditions on the roads. Here's what's in the forecast for the rest of the week:
Friday, December 28, 2012
Here's a by-the-numbers look at injury and non-injury accidents in Oakland County during Wednesday's snowstorm.
From the time the snowstorm began Wednesday until the time the snow stopped Thursday morning, the Oakland County Sheriff's Office responded to almost 80 accidents and road runoffs. Highland Township is among the 16 townships, cities and villages the sheriff's office patrols. Here's a look at calls the office responded to from 11 a.m. Wednesday to 8:30 a.m. Thursday across Oakland County: The weather service forecasts a 60 percent chance of more snow Friday and a 30-40 percent chance of snow Saturday.
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Snow will start falling in the afternoon and continue into the evening.
Last year's wimpy winter will not be a repeat for Michigan, if this week is any indication. Following Christmas Eve's traffic-clogging snowfall—which ranged from a dusting to several inches in Metro Detroit—residents of White Lake, Highland and surrounding areas can expect significant snow on Wednesday. The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the area, and is predicting up to seven inches of snowfall on Wednesday. Flurries could begin overnight, turning into a steady snowfall by the afternoon. The chance of snow, according to NWS, is 100 percent. Temperatures will drop into the high 20s by 10 a.m., and winds will pick up throughout the day, gusting as high as 26 miles per hour. Two to four inches of snow is …